Friday, September 29, 2017

Hobo Dinners: A Fun, Fall Recipe for Outdoor Living ~ And Life



Hello friends~
How are you today?
Really. 
I ask because I care.

Sometimes life can be so busy and we get distracted.
I want to take a moment and say thank you to those who 
take the time to ask how I am
and then truly listen.

I am thankful for the good listeners in
my life. And honestly, there aren't many.
But it's ok. I can learn from that.
I can turn it around and work at 
being a better listener. 

There's usually a way to take something
negative and make it positive!

Keep on the Sunny Side.
Just a short note on my life.

My sister and niece are flying in from Ohio 
on Tuesday.  We are busy packing up 
my youngest daughter who turns 21 today!
She's such a sweet person.

This evening, she, myself and two of her sisters
are going out to celebrate her and have a fun time 
with dinner and a movie~

More about another time.

**********
Today, I wanted to share this
fun recipe that's perfect for fall fires or camping!
HOBO dinners!

Here are some cooling on 
the rocks around the fire. The aromas
just float all through the Gypsy Camp.

Have you ever had them?
They are SO fun for kids.


HOBO DINNERS

Prepare a bed of coals.
Charcoal briquets may even work.
I've always used an open fire.
It takes about 40 mins to an hour
to prepare a good bed of coals using the open fire.

***

*Three small burger patties
or 6-8 oz cut up chicken breast.
Season to taste
*One cup of sliced potatoes
*6-8 onion slices
*1/2 half cup of sliced carrots.

Layer them on two large pieces of heavy duty foil.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
You could even add a sprig of fresh Rosemary.
( I will next time!)

Seal them VERY well so the juices don't escape.

Lay them right on the coals. 
Leave them uncovered.
(Meaning don't heap the coals on them.)
Roast for about 30-35 mins.
Turning with metal tongs about 
halfway through the cook time.

Remove from coals and let cool for 
5-10 mins. They will still be steaming hot!
These truly are a treat.

A fun experience and fabulously delicious!

My one grand daughter doesn't like potatoes but she ate 
all of her HOBO cooked potatoes!
There's just something about all that goodness
of the flavor of all those juices blending together.

   ENJOY! :)
I hope you're able to try these sometime.
If you have any questions, feel free to email
me or leave a comment.

In honor of the Hobo dinners,
 here's a link to the song 
Gentle on my Mind  by Glen Campbell.

It's a song that I just learned and one of my favorites.
I was so sad to hear of his recent passing.
Have a wonderful weekend!
I'll be singing tomorrow
at The Foxfire's season's end Oktoberfest.
Friends fun and food...


How're you celebrating fall?

Thank you for your visit!
Hugs and blessings~
Tamara



7 comments:

Christine said...

Hello dear Tamara!
Birthday blessings to your daughter & hope you all enjoy your evening out!
I think your idea of a Hobo dinner sounds like so much fun & tasty too!
Thanks for sharing this fun idea!
Have a great day!

Junkchiccottage said...

Good Saturday to you my friend. I know you will all have a great girls night out. That Hobo dinner sounds really good. What a fun way to prepare a meal and have some fun. Wishing you a fabulous weekend and safe travel as you move your daughter. Enjoy that time all together.
Hugs,
Kris

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a great post about taking the time to "smell the roses".
Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Have a beautiful day! Lovely post! Where are the leaves changing? I thought you are in Az, but not sure... Thinking about taking a drive. I went to Flagstaff last week. xoxo Su

handmade by amalia said...

A wonderful post, Tamara. I always come away from your blog appreciating your understanding of the important things in life. You are an inspiration, my friend. And a belated Happy Birthday to your daughter.
Amalia
xo

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Dear Tamara,
a belated happy Birthday to your daughter. Hope all is well.The Hobo Dinner sounds really good - will try it out.Thanks for stopping by, my friend.
Have a lovely week.
Hugs and love,
Marie

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

The hobo dinner sounds delicious and so easy. I hope I can remember that for next camping season. I would love to try it.