I hope you're having a good week.
The weather has been
beautiful here in the AZ. mountains.
I'm sure many of you are preparing heart and homes for
Honestly, I haven't done too much.
Our son and his family were visiting from Oklahoma and then we all
drove to Phoenix for a little re-union. It was the first time the cousins had been
together. All 8 of them. What a sweet time we had! I'm so grateful.
And my heart is full.
Today, I wanted to share with you a little project that I
put together for my grand kids. I would have liked to sold some but
I ran out of time.
They are little Easter baskets made from peat pots.
I had more of a nature theme in mind for them but they were the
perfect size for little gifts.
I bought the pots at Wal-mart for $1.50. There were
14 in the package. They measure about 3 inches across.
The first thing I did was brush them off.
And then I dry brushed them with a linen color acrylic paint.
After that was dry, I cut pieces of natural and off-white burlap
measuring 2 1/4 in by 2 1/2 in. I then dry
brushed the burlap with the colors I had chosen.
When the paint was dry, I glued them onto the pot using
I wanted to embellish them around the rims and you can
see that I used Ric- Rac and some deco trim for the girls.
The buttons and butterflies worked perfectly for
the girl's crosses. I also used buttons on the
I had this idea and tried something new with the boys trim.
I painted some jute string and then just made the little scallop
design with it.
How do you like it? I thought
it turned out really nice and I'd like to try it
with other colors for other projects!
Hot glue worked perfectly for gluing
on all of the trim.
It was fun picking out the metal pieces to make
the crosses. My husband offered his collection
to choose from. Thanks, Honey!
He always teases me by saying,
"What a gal. She doesn't want fancy cars.
Just give her rusty junk!"
It's true, but the last time he said that,
I told him that the car would come later. Just kidding.
What I'd really like to have is an old pick-up!
Anyway, I think the boys will really like that stuff.
I used E600 to glue the metal on.
Hot glue nor the Tacky seem to hold.
For the boys handles, I used some rusty wire that I had on hand.
I'm pretty sure it's about 12 gauge. And for the girls, I used
a 16 gauge, silver jewelry wire. The measured pieces were
from 8-10 inches. I tried to fit the length of the
handle to the child.
I bent the ends with a pair of pliers and
then poked through the inside
of the pots on either side.
I wanted to put some special little touch that
identified each one as their own.
Kids really like that. I thought that the
bottle caps with their initials would be fun.
I used a medium-sized nail to punch a hole through the bottle caps
and then put a 1/4 in jump ring on them.
I stamped each initial on a circle that I had cut out and glued
it inside the bottle cap. Then I just tied each one
to a handle with a strand of burlap string.
The filling is just made from a thrifted book that
I colored with the co-ordinating color of ink. I
colored the pages, cut them in thin strips and then
holding several strips at
a time, I accordion folded them.
I ran out of time but I thought that adding torn strips with a mix
of co-ordinating fabrics to the handle would have
added a soft touch to the girls' baskets.
What a fun project.
I hope you enjoyed it.
Thank you so much for stopping by.
And have a very happy Resurrection Day!
I'm joining these parties this week!