Friday, March 1, 2013

Vintage Giraffe Birthday Card

The third birthday of my darling little grand daughter was soon to come// 
The bitty one wanted Giraffes as the theme//
The distance is far // I was sad to be unable to give her birthday hugs//
 A special card would have to do//
 
 

 
Handmade is such a beautiful way to express our sincerest wishes.
(though it isn't always practical)
 

Here is the adorable image that I decided on.
My printer is not the best but there is a bit of touching up that can be done
with a set of quality colored pencils.
 
 A special THANK YOU to The Graphics Fairy!
 
Karen has so many talents and she is so generous to share with us.
If you enjoy using images and graphics in your designs,
you will appreciate this special site.
 
The image was very large.
It fit very nicely on a  full-sized piece card stock.
I used a Scotch brand
permanent glue stick to adhere the image.
 
 I used these cut and embossed flowers to cover up a large 5 and G. The image is actually
one of a vintage Rummy card. SO cute!
 
 The Tim Holtz embossing folder worked perfectly for adding a little bit
of a "grassy" look.




After building the flowers, I blended some inks on the edges
that matched my color theme.
And then went on to use a blended glitter to catch some light.
The glitter is very fine and each color is a blend of 2 colors.
The sample pack is very inexpensive. Around $3 for a 12 pack of colors and is
 available at Joanne's.
 


 
The little precious is a girly-girl with a flair for the outdoors and animals.
So this little color scheme and all would be perfect for her.
  I prefer to keep the sweet
feminine side of things obvious anyway. So I chose to add the large,
full flowers along with the lace and buttons.
They also balance it out. The pearly little stick-ons added to little
"horns" were an after-thought.

 
The little butterfly on the back added a little whimsy!
 
 
Some of the tools I used:
 
* Bigshot
* Brocade embossing folder-Sizzix
* Tim Holtz Tattered Flower Die
*Tim Holtz Fancy & Florals embossing folder
* Elegant Butterfly Punch - Stampin' Up!
 
 
 To finish, I just glued this front to full sized piece of' vanilla cardstock and
attached and then embellished with two antique-looking brads.

I was so pleased with the way it all came together. And though I wasn't able to
be there for her party, it was hand-delivered with a hug on her "Happy Day" as we call it.
She really liked it.

 
 
 Blessings to you!

 
 


1 comment:

Miss Emily K. said...

Such a cute card! I love it :)