Saturday, July 13, 2013

Living in the Moment

I hope you are enjoying your summer. I hope you enjoy every day of every season. There is always something  that can bring joy and blessing. Life is full of good and beauty! There's so much to take in. I love hearing the birds when I'm going about my day.  Here in the arid west, we keep water out all year long to give the birds a place to drink and splash around! What fun it is to watch them gather. Nothing fancy. One spot is an old dished out rock  and the other is an old shallow stainless steel pan that we had laying around after our house fire. Anyway, it really encourages them to stop by and even to hang around. 
 

Aren't they so pretty? Mountain Bluebirds just taking a minute to get a drink. Just sitting and watching them is peaceful. There they are travelling together and sharing the watering hole.

                                                              Living in the moment.

Not living FOR the moment. But IN it. Finding the beauty. Realizing what's around and taking the time to let it sink in. Imprint. Become a memory.

Live. Reflect. Breathe.

Not to sound dramatic but life can move at a rate that is alarming.  Truly. And I have found the need to dis-engage from activities so that I can stay connected with the things that I love.  God. People. Nature. Music. Books Old stuff and working with my hands.  But I have to work at it.
Here are some of the things that I have learned:

* Limit media input ~
* Have a purpose ~
* Don't over- commit ~
* Accept limitations ~
* Set boundaries and STICK to them~ :)
*Be organized and plan but remain flexible ~
* Schedule down time
*Keep a running list and then just "do the next thing" ~
* Stay home ~
* Keep it simple ~ (what is IT? Everything!)
* Decide what it is that you REALLY want to do and then do it ~
* Have a sense of humor ~
* Sit quietly and as often as I can until I begin to notice what I've been missing ~
*Take the time to know myself ~
*Just listen ~

And.... everyone is different, so you may need to revise this list for you.

Life can be complicated and rob us of the beauty that's around us. We can get de-sensitized. Finding what works for you will not just happen. But it doesn't have to be painful either. Live in the moments of the process. Kind of like enjoying the journey. Laugh at yourself.

This quote was meaningful to me. Giving in to the business of life is not an option. I do it and enjoy it but there are other things that are worthy of experiencing and treasures that will be over-looked if I'm not mindful. And so I keep pressing after things that are hidden by "the loudness" of life.  ,


"It seems to me that we can never give up longing and wishing while we are thoroughly alive. There are certain things we feel to be beautiful and good and
 we must hunger after them." -George Eliot

Some of my treasures..

~ words
~ flowers
~ butterfly wings
~ a whisper
~ a gentle touch
~ a song
~ the wind
~ hugs
~ heart-shaped rocks
~ leaves
~ bird nests
~ colored ribbons
~ thunder
~ singing
~ home-made mint tea
~ paper
~ silence
~ rain
~ bird songs
~ baby kisses
~ prayers


These are just a handful of the things that make my heart sing. I'd love to hear what you find beautiful. And if you'd like to share about your journey, Id love to read about it.

Blessings to you,








No comments: