Monday, November 18, 2013

Harvest Blessings~ Re-Purposed Barn Siding Wall Hanging

Hi everyone. I hope you had a good weekend. There's a wonderful gray-blue sky today and I'm ready to jump into my week working on some Christmas projects.

But first, I want to say that the harvest and Thanksgiving season is such a special time. My thoughts go to the abundance of my blessings and the goodness of the earth. It's one of my favorite times of the year. Warmth of the brilliant, firey colors that blow in the wind. Family times gathering wood for the winter. Watching the birds gather to begin their long journeys to warmer places. Hot cider and woodstove fires. I do, indeed, feel blessed to have family and friends about.

I love long walks in the late afternoon sun while just beginning to feel the coolness of the air right before the sun sets. What a delight to my soul. Those walks somehow feed my spirit and my gratitude swells upward to God as I enjoy this simple stroll down a dirt road.

What a blessed life I have. Even though there are some very difficult family situations that we are working through, I'm so thankful that I can take some time and reflect on the many blessings that gather in my life.

Anyway, here's a photo of one of the projects that I enjoyed working on this season. 
 

The details were a lot of fun. I have a large pile of rust wire and I really enjoy finding ways to use it in  adding little touches. I had never made the little scrolls so this was fun. And I like the way they turned out!  I also made some of the old-fashioned yo-yos. Here's a tutorial if you'd like to know how to make them.  Click on this link to watch the video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVOp3iAgWs0

They're very easy and a great little travel craft or something for your hands to while watching a movie or even sitting and visiting.  They're a lot of fun to use when embellishing so many things. Purses, headbands, clothing, and crafts. This would be a really good beginner project for a young crafter for sewing. Plus it's a great way to use up some of those scraps. I've made many sizes to add to my different projects. Just remember that the finished yo-yo will be half the size of the circle that you cut.  You can try mixing different types of fabric yo-yos to get a more fancy look.  I've made them out of lace and they turn out very elegant looking!

Have you ever heard of Liquid Nails?  I hadn't. I was looking for way to attach two pieces of wood together by putting them edge to edge. It worked VERY well! The odor is very strong though so I would recommend using it in a well-ventilated area.

I put it on consignment and it must have been well-liked because it sold right away! It always makes me happy to know that I can make something that people want to use in their homes! Next year, I'll make some more.

I hope you're having a beautiful fall and that you all have someone to share this lovely time of year with. I would love to hear about some of your fall experiences and what autumn delights feed your soul!  Thank you for stopping by.

Blessings,
Tamara

No comments: