Monday, April 4, 2016

Vintage Patterns Make a Pretty Package

Hello and a beautiful Monday to you! 
It was a gorgeous weekend here
although at one point it would snow..
then the sun would shine!

It was cool and breezy and perfect for
working long hours outside
raking, hauling rocks, planting and planning..
and trimming back a very large poplar tree.

I hope you had a good weekend.
Do you have spring fever?
And all of the hopes of dreams that
come with pouring over the seed catalogues...
and taking walk-abouts around the yards and gardens to
see what's coming up!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today I wanted to share a little something that
I do with vintage patterns that I find 
at the thrift shops. 

I really like the warm color of the paper and 
it just has that vintage look to it.
The pictures are so charming. If you like to
draw vintage clothing, these are perfect for
 reference pictures to practice from. 

You could even cut the pictures out 
and make sweet vintage tags for gifts!
 I  think I might want to try that.

The patterns can also be used for mixed media 
art for texture and filling for mailing packages.
I have used them in gift baskets and in place of
 tissue paper in gift bags.
Do you like using them for something?

Here I used one for a simple, victorian-style gift wrap.
I tied it with some seam binding, thin ribbon and lace. And then I added a little angel charm with a tag that I had made.

You can give without loving but you cannot love without giving.
Amy Carmichael
Are you a gift-giver? I am.

There are many kinds of gifts.
Kindness
Understanding
A listening ear
Compassion
Time

And then there are the ones that come in a package.

It's something that I can do to make someone 
feel really special. They're a wonderful way
to express appreciation or to say I love you or
I'm thinking of you.
 And I really enjoy dressing up the packages.
It seems to make them a little more personal.
Sometimes it can be simple.
Sometimes very fancy.
It depends on how much time I have.

Thank you so much for coming by.
Wishing you many good things for your week!

 Blessings,
Tamara 

8 comments:

Kezzie said...

The wrapping is beautiful! You did this so nicely. I'm of the v messy, scruffy-wrapping type and actually I've got a draft blog post based on wrapping types so it'll be interesting to see what type most others are!

Roosterhead Designs said...

Oh yes Tamara, I like to use pattern tissue for many things! Gift wrap is one for sure~ Love your idea of lace for the bow! and adding a homemade tag makes it extra special! Thanks for sharing~ Karen O

My thrift store addiction said...

Great idea, Tamara! Adding these to my thrifting list ;)

Tamara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamara said...

Ha That's funny Kezzie. It's nice that it doesn't have to be fancy! I look forward to seeing your post.
Tamara xo

Donna Wilkes said...

Using vintage paper for a gift makes it special. Love your tags! Also your bottle caps.

white and vintage said...

Hello Tamara,
last night it has snowed like in winter! It is quite cold now, but on sunday the weather will be better.
Your gift is made with love. Beautiful!
Nice Greetings,
Christine

AppleApricot Wen said...

Beautiful package, Tamara, I love the vintage pattern paper too! And oh yes, spring fever hit me as well, lol. Enjoy the spring season and the seed catalogs! hugs xx