Thursday, July 21, 2016

Altered Writing Desk... Nature Friends and a Simple Painting

Hello dear friends..

I hope you're well.


There is so much going on right now...

Mucho mucho..

Probably for you also! I really have to pace myself .

I'm up early to get out and plant and visit my garden areas.

I am working on my 6th round of plants that we've bought.

Perennials... annuals... bushes...

What fun I've been having (and a lot of work too :) but I must get out before the sun

burns too hot. I plant something almost every day.

Today it was a pack of moss rose and six lilies.

The pulaski tool has become one of best friends

as I prepare new beds in this rocky Arizona terra.

It's all so inspiring and such good exercise.

And I'm so very excited to see so much more color!

And honestly, anything in this high dessert that's 

green, is a welcome sight.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Today I have a little project to share.

I wish I'd taken more before pictures.

It was a deep red and green writing desk that was decorated

with a primitive Santa. I rescued it from the 50 cent bin at a thrift store.


The hinges needed repaired and the paper santa motif was coming off..

Here are a few photos to show some of the changes.
Some vintage wallpaper.
I primed the desk and then painted it with one of my favorite acrylic colors.
Vintage White~
And I used some of my favorite scrap papers to decorate.
There was a little lid that opened at the top and I wanted to attach a 
chain to it to catch the door.
I did a little distressing with some fine sand paper.
And some blending with Frayed Burlap Distress ink.
It gave it that grunge worn look that I like sometimes.
And then I began to add little embellishments.

I love using odds and ends of rusty stuff for this kind of project.

I wanted it to look old and be like a letter storage box.

I'm sad that I didn't get many pictures of the finished desk

but you get the idea. The inside was all finished and the little lid had some 

extra details inside.


What're your favorite embellishments to use?
For the final look, I added very small rusted nails to the 
little ornate piece at the top. They became butterfly antennas. 
It was a really fun project and I'm happy to
say that it went to a new home in the Valley of the Sun.
Isn't it so fun to find old things and bring them back to life?
It's one of my favorite ways to create.

Now on to other things that I've been doing.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Meeting new friends in the garden is always a treat!
My thyme is home sweet home for this special creature.
When I drizzle the water over the plant, it scrambles out to say hello..
I love that!
Here is a White Admiral butterfly

I love what happens when I'm watering my plants and the water spills over!

It's magical...

All kinds of creatures come for a drink. 

I will share the movie I took when I figure out Hand Brake.

It's an editing tool that will resize my videos.


 Brutus taking a break from his garden duties.
He works very hard at re-arranging the catnip!
*A little update
(this morning, the little snoot chewed off a peony bush 
branch and broke another. 
STINKER! 
But who can resist that little fur ball when he's sleeping;)

Below are some of my new plants.
We've been having thunder storms.
The sounds of the rain hitting the roof is glorious and the smell after
the showers are so refreshing!
And the plants just seem to act so blessed to have that rainwater~



Here's a little painting that I've been working on..
I used to be so intimidated by paint. My techniques are very simple but it's a start.
Do you like to paint? 


I've been working on this post for days. Yesterday, our internet was down!
It's time to get it published..

Have a wonderful Wednesday and thank you for paying me a visit!
I always love to hear about what's happening with you.

A little side note.. I love to watch movies..
Many different kinds. Dramas based on true life experiences are
some of my favorites. They aren't always easy to watch but usually worth it.

I  just watched Nothing But the Truth.
It's a bit disturbing and it ended differently than I expected.


Love and hugs..
Tamara 













1 comment:

handmade by amalia said...

A great project, Tamara. It has such rustic vintage charm.
Amalia
xo