Friday, March 7, 2014

Moldy Magazine Rack Re-Dressed in Shabby Chic

Hello and Happy Friday!
I hope you all found many blessings in your week.
I am always amazed at how many things in an ordinary
day can be
a joy.
 
****************************************
 
Today I wanted to share a little project that I took on.
I found this poor abandoned magazine rack
sitting outside at a thrift store. You can see for yourself the kind
 of shape it was in.
I picked it up. It was built solidly enough
and so I paid $2 for it and brought it home.
 
 



After cleaning it all up and sanding it a little I gave it several
coats of paint. If you like the paint color,
it's Mocha Breeze by Do it Best, which you can buy at
True Value stores.
 
 
There are such pretty little hankies that I find at thrift stores. 
The little front panel
is cut from a piece of one of the dainty treasures. 
 
Flower and rosette materials:
*Feather
*Strips from white cotton sheet
*Strips from pink cotton sheet
*Old lacey curtain
*Fresh water pearls and pink beads
*Ribbon from a blanket packaging
 (the center rosette)
*Strip from faded tan curtain
*Lace edging cut from curtain
 
Everything in this project was attached with hot glue.
 


~Rosettes touch the heart~


 Each end has two matching buttons.
Here's the back. The top piece was torn from an old cotton
sheet and the lower half is thrifted lace.
 
The final outcome!
This was my first re-do painting project.
It took longer than I thought. I never considered how
 long it would take to paint all of the little dowels!
But I am happy with the results.
 
Thank you so much for stopping by!
I hope your weekend
is blessed and peaceful.
 
Tamara  XO
 
Linking up today at:
 
 
Thank you, Linda!
 
 
 
 
Previous link parties!
 
 
 
 
Partying today at:
 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I just found you from Junkin Joe! I love your magazine rack. At a first glance I thougth that it was a baby bed :-)
I get crazy gor burlap and lace so I pinned it in my pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/sofiamoresco/burlap-and-lace-home-decor/
ciao from Italy

Musings From A French Cottage said...

Wow, this is amazing!! What a transformation. You did such a wonderful job on it. Isn't it fun to find something old and make it beautiful again? Way to go!!

Blessings,
Kathleen

Tamara said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments, Kathleen! It IS a lot of fun to find something discarded and make it into something pretty and useful. And thank you for following! That was very encouraging.
Blessings to you, too.
Tamara

Tamara said...

Thank you, Sofia! I'm glad that you liked it. It's nice to hear some feedback. It was fun to make and to see the end results. And you're not the first person who thought it was a baby bed! :)

Blessings,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

Love that you are using old hankies to make the rosette. How cleaver! To think that this beautiful piece could have made it's way to a dump. Not only are you making your home beautiful, but you are doing your part to save this earth. Bravo on all counts. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Tamara said...

Dear Friend,
Thank you for stopping by and leaving your kind comment. It's a good feeling to apply a little love to things that can still be used or treasured.

Blessings,
Tamara

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

So pretty! What a transformation! Love the embellishments you put on it.

Tamara said...

Thank you for your sweet comment, AnnMarie! It's so encouraging. It was quite a mess. Thank you for stopping by.

Blessings,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

How cute you made that magazine rack! Great work!

Gigi @ Old World Patina

Tamara said...

Thank you so much, Gina! And thanks for stopping by.

Blessings,
Tamara